Pages

May 21, 2015

Paleo Cooking Fat

I would love to have started out with a clean and empty kitchen to start cooking Paleo, but I am lucky if I can keep the countertops free of junk between working, my family, and now the extra amount of time I am cooking. So, where to start.

Looking through lots and lots of recipes helped to quickly figure out that I was going to need to get some staple items that I saw repeated over and over again.

First off is identifying what "cooking fat" I wanted to use. The go-to seemed to be coconut oil or ghee (clarified butter).  I went for coconut oil hesitantly because the though of all my food having an aroma of coconut was not really appealing to me. Boy was I wrong.

When you taste a little, it's hard to describe expect that it is very clean tasting and it melts into liquid almost immediately - unless you are in a warm climate it will be in a liquid state already. It's a solid until the room temp reaches about 76 degrees F and then liquifies back to oil.

And yes, foods you cook with it do take on a little of the flavoring, but I have yet to mind it -- which really surprised me. This can take the place of butter or margarine in baking (have yet to try this) or in frying. I use it mostly in my skillets to cook chicken and vegetables.

I got a big ole' tub (32 oz) of Nature's Way Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil from Amazon for $13.58 using the subscribe and save feature.

Noting the link here to Paleo Leap's easy to understand guide to Paleo Healthy Fats.

Items from this post:



No comments:

Post a Comment